Pages

Monday, January 31, 2022

Happy 2022

Once again, the year got away from me, and we are now in another year of this crazy pandemic. This weird semi-normal world where things aren't quite back to normal, yet we are still masking and concerned about the new variants cropping up everyday. I personally have had COVID only once, right after Christmas, when my brothers and sister-in-law were alerted to an exposure after a family gathering. I mostly felt like I had a mild flu. Knock-on-wood, I've been thankfully very healthy otherwise, but busy with the years events; moving out of and selling my childhood home, moving as much as humanly possible to my new place in Boston, purchasing my first sewing machine, flying to Raleigh for a family wedding, losing my job on January 28th, among other adventures that have been slightly stunted by the current atmosphere of the planet.

Despite everything, I still managed to schedule some light in the distance with a rogue Disney World trip at the end of February for the Princess Half Marathon. Now those of you who know me personally, know that I am not an athlete. I'd rather spend my time exercising in a yoga, ballet, or pilates class. The one time I played a sport in high school was my senior year and I signed up for track. I initially signed up for shot-put, but after a week of feeble attempts, the coach moved me to sprints. I still fared fairly poorly at this; one of the meets I placed 6th to last in the whole division. Nonetheless, when I saw the 5K theme for the weekend was Cinderella, I found it my impetus to sign up and run. The RunDisney signups pretty quickly, but somewhere along the way, I also found that Give Kids the World also has race registrations and participants can run and raise money for the Village. At the time of this post, I have raised over $750 and am hoping to raise $1000 by the time I hit the pavement on February 25th.


As a leukemia survivor, I was one of many, many children with critical illnesses to make a wish to meet Minnie and Mickey at Walt Disney World. In 1996, my family flew to Orlando and stayed at GKTW Village while we visited the SeaWorld, Universal Studios, and Walt Disney World. This amazing village hosts families from all over the world and provides meals, lodging, park tickets, and other amenities all for free. Over 25 years have passed since my family visited, and the village is still thriving and running strong today. They now host evening parties representing different holidays (Winter Wonderland, Halloween, Mayor Clayton's Birthday) and have multiple accessible amusement park rides, two swimming pools, stables, fishing, mini golf, and even a "spa" for wacky hairdos and glitter tattoos. I am just blown away by how much the village has grown, and after doing some finagling, my mom and I are each volunteering one evening during our trip. If you want to learn more about the history of the village, I'll link it at the bottom of this post.

Okay, going back to my Disney trip, it wouldn't be a vacation without some DisneyBounding planned for each day at the parks. This year, my trip is falling during Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary and all of the classic characters received a little costume update in celebration of the event. While shopping at a local quilt store, I found the most perfect fabric that reflects Minnie's dress perfectly.  I'm planning to wear this to Magic Kingdom to meet the mouse himself and get a couple socially distanced selfies.


My second outfit I have had planned as soon as Charm Patterns released the Mariner top on their Patreon page. I've always wanted a sailor dress, and nothing says sailor like Donald Duck. I initially had planned just a top, but when I got to the cutting table, I forgot wasn't thinking properly and asked for a 3 yard cut (which didn't end up being enough and when I went back for more, realized the two fabrics were very slightly different). So far, this dress has had #alltheissues between ribbon widths and wonky hemlines, but I'm excited to be twinning with Donald Duck with my big red bow. 


My third outfit is an unfinished project from 2020 made from the same pattern as my Bespin Leia and Porg dresses. Joann Fabrics seems to be the best place to find licensed printed cotton, and this particular print was love at first sight. I'm a sucker for all things Cinderella and I was happy to find a floral that is more subtly Disney. This dress doesn't have a defined date yet, but it's going in the suitcase along with my DisneyBound cinderella dress from my 2020 trip.


Okay, I think that's all for now. Stay tuned for finished dress pictures here and on instagram, and if you are able, please donate to the fantastic charity that is GKTW Village.




















No comments:

Post a Comment