Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

1930's Hair and Makeup Tutorials

I've started looking into makeup and hair tutorials for the 1930's so I have lots of inspiration for Reefer Madness come fall. I've done a lot of googling and found a reasonable amount of information about makeup recreating, but less detailed info about how to recreate the styled, curly and slim hairstyles. I have to admit that I have never been great with hair (every time I've curled my hair it turns out lumpy and strange - perhaps due to lack of correct tools) and I need specific instructions to create complex styles (which is why I ordered the Vintage Hairstyling book which should arrive soon). Anyway, I am creating this post for use as a basic tool and reference guide for those wishing to get a perfect 1930's look (and also for use during Reefer Madness this fall).

Makeup:
- A great blog post explaining in detail the different aspects found in the makeup (from eyes to lips and fingertips).
Another guide with photos and color choices.
- This video. Wonderful (wordless) tutorial that creates a great basic 30's look.


Hair:
- A salon that recreates period hairstyles. A link to their inspiration page and really cute 30's hair styles.
- This video


Also my Vintage Hairstyling book came in the mail! It has chapters that go into detail about how each type of curl works and what sort of look you can get from it. It describes what specifically happens when you set a curl on the base or off the base. Pretty interesting. It is quite detailed which is really nice, but most of the styles require curly hair before starting, meaning I would have to invest in a nice set of hot rollers and styling lotion if I wanted my pin straight hair to ever look like the book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment