Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mary Lane and Pretty Dresses (Post #100!!)

So in my last post I mentioned I had plans for a 1930's dress for use in Reefer Madness (and also daily use).  I guess a bit of background about the show and my plans for my dress would be quite appropriate.

Reefer Madness is a musical based off the 1936 film of the same name. It was originally a propaganda film that was supposed to warn parents of the dangers of smoking marijuana and to keep it away from their kids. I have watched part of the movie, but got a bit bored with it (probably because I had trouble hearing it and I didn't really have the energy to focus on it). Anyway, in 2005, the cult hit was remade into a movie musical (using the songs from the 2001 musical performance) starring Kristen Bell and Alan Cumming (who played the Emcee from the Cabaret Revival, small world). So yeah.

I've talked (once) to the director of the musical and seen a preliminary costume list, which involves 30's clothing for the actors for some of the show. Other parts will require angel costumes and sexy things too. This show is going to be weird.

But for a while I have been wanting to make a retro style dress that I can wear out and about, but also have for theatrical performances (it seems that all the shows I have been have required clothing from the 30's or 40's). So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a pattern and fabric and make it this summer.

Currently I am looking at buying a vintage pattern and fabric and have found a couple I really like (and don't look too difficult to fit, considering I never fit the cover for my dress form, yet another summer project). So without further ado, here are my favorite patterns:

One idea for a dress. It is a girl's pattern, so I'm worried the waist to bust proportions might be a bit off and that it might be too juvenile. I do however, like the style a lot.

Other options. These are blouse and circle skirt sets, which are definitely simple, but I really want a dress. The plus about the top pattern is it is only $10, but the one thing that bothers me about skirt and blouse sets is the blouse ALWAYS comes untucked from the skirt. I like one-pieces a lot more.

There is also this one which is sleeveless with a v-slit in the squared neckline. I was thinking I might be able to put the sleeves from the bolero on the dress if I go with this one.

Now to choose one and the fabric!!

No comments:

Post a Comment