Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Potential Commission

On Sunday, I went to visit my cousin (who is currently a Med Student at Boston University) and then made dumplings back at my house with her and my family. While we were touring the BU campus (for one of my brothers who is very interested in being a studio art major in college), she asked me if she could commission an apron from me! I certainly don't think it would be that difficult, so I think I'll be able to do it!

As far as my experience with aprons goes, I haven't had a lot. Some of you may remember my Alice costume from this past fall where I found a perfect dress in the costume store downtown, then made an apron to go over top. That apron was drafted completely by hand and included a simple rectangle gathered to a long strip (more like ribbon) of fabric and a square pinafore piece sewn to the waistband and with button-neckpiece (I know, it seems complicated, but makes some sense). Anyway, you may recognize I've had a lot of extra time now that I'm on break and have had way too much time to spend surfing Etsy, but I think this habit will prove quite beneficial because I now have more ideas for aprons and my 1930s/40s outfits.

While surfing I found a number of patterns and "favorited" a few I really liked (and also didn't look too difficult to draft). I'm not really sure what my cousin is looking for, but I personally like the ones with a bodice (or top half), because it does more than just look pretty. It would actually protect a pretty dress from stains.
I really like the inset view of this apron, with the pretty rounded bodice and the tie back. I admit that the cross back straps are far from practical, but they could be changed to a simple loop that would go over the head. I'm also in love with the gathered skirt-like bottom (Alice apron anyone?) and the rounded pocket (perfect for a vintage handkerchief or recipe).

This style is particularly interesting with a one piece and wide square neckline. What you can't see is the straps turn into a v-shaped back and with ties at the waist and tip of the v-shape. It looks a little complicated at first glance, but is probably doable with a couple muslins.

This apron (from Jessie Steele, the same brand I have seen in one of my favorite stores in my college town) is really adorable and pretty simple. The front has a square neckline and is one piece all the way to the hem where a flirty little ruffle runs along the edge. The back shows that the neck has a set of halter style ties and ties at the waist as well.

Sorry, I had to put this on here. My mom has a William-Sonoma apron that I was studying earlier and I didn't want to go get it from downstairs and photograph it. The style of it is really simple (probably why they are still selling like hot-cakes) and ingenious (the top loop and back ties are really the same ribbon of fabric that thread through the sides of the apron and can adjust based on the wearer). This function would not be hard to replicate in a style like this one.

So let me leave all you young Padawans and let the force be with you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! All of these look awesome! I really like the ruffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! I started drafting (one that looked most like the blue spotted one) last night, but it didn't look right. I think I need to make it wider. I'll let you know when I have a muslin made up!

    ReplyDelete