Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Midnight Sewing Madness

Sew (sorry, bad pun), as most of you know, I've had started a lot of different projects over the 2 week span I have been home - most of these are quite far from finished (my 30's ensemble, the apron for my cousin…). Last night I decided to embark on another (quick) project. At the end of the school year, my theater group was enlisted to clean our stuff out of the basements of the houses we were storing stuff in, and move it to another basement. We split up and conquered two houses and each took a box containing varying props, costumes, and other really random knick-knacks (a ceramic duck? body parts? I think you get the idea). In the process we found a few really old t-shirts that were printed before any of us were even involved with the group - of course they were all size large and extra large, but I managed to get a large, figuring I could do something to make it fit. And I did.

I lay the shirt out and measured the front and back and cut it so the width of the shirt was slightly larger than my bust measurement and then zig-zagged the edges to prevent any fraying (I've never used or had any interest in using pinking shears). I stitched the two sides together, adjusting the arm holes a couple times until they fit right. I then folded over the armhole seams so they sat on my shoulders better and voila - I now have a nicely fitted sleeveless shirt! I was hoping it would be a little longer because I can't wear it without shorts or pants to bed, but with bottoms it will make a nice rehearsal shirt. It took me a couple of hours, plus I also sewed another part of my 30's blouse muslin. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment